Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Matrix: First Impressions

Here are some of my first impressions of the experience matrix:

What if one of my experiences fits into two categories? For example, leadership/service and social responsibility/service are both good places to talk about my experiences achieving the Eagle Scout award and subsequently becoming an Assistant Scoutmaster in the BSA. I'm guessing that the matrix is just there as a tool to help me create the content and it isn't really present on the front end. Therefore it doesn't actually matter which square I put a particular experience in, as long as the display name is accurate. I'm still not sure whether it would be best to mention the same experience in two different squares and just discuss it in the context of each square, or if I should talk about the experience on one page of the portfolio with respect to both topics (leadership and social responsibility).

What if I have two experiences that fit into the same square?

I spent about 45 minutes considering what artifacts I could put in each square. I came up with about 8 different squares worth of work, and noted that I would have to come up with something good for a 9th square--Coursework vs Computer skills--because of my field. I haven't written any reflections for this section yet.

No comments: