Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Resume/Portfolio Creation and Final Thoughts on the Experience Matrix & Resume Builder

Resume/Portfolio Creation
Today I spent a few minutes constructing a resume. I didn't have any supporting materials to add, but I noticed that the list of possible items contained every resource I had available to me through Sakai, including supplements professors had provided through Sakai class sites. I also received an error when I attempted to preview the portfolio.

Now that I've created a resume/portfolio, I think I would have been better off if I had created it from the start, because it provides a better way to review the work I have completed so far in the experience matrix. It's really convenient to be able to edit something in the Exp. Matrix and have it update automatically in the portfolio.

I was a little bit disappointed that I couldn't pick and choose which squares from the matrix to include in the accomplishments section. There was one which doesn't contain any content because I was unable to delete a reflection, and another which was not quite complete.

Final Thoughts on the Experience Matrix & Resume Builder

The resume builder and the experience matrix were quite useful. The resume builder forced me to structure my resume a little differently than how I'm used to doing it, but it was nice to experiment with an alternative approach. My only complaint about the resume builder is that I couldn't see which sections I had completed from the main resume builder menu.

The experience matrix was an interesting exercise that forced me to think about what I've accomplished over the last five years. While I'm not sure I would want to present all of the information I entered to an employer, I think I am better prepared to present myself in an interview.

Overall I would say that the Rutgers Portfolio was very helpful in preparing me for a job hunt. I will most likely use the content generated from the portfolio in my own personal website, because I would like to have more control over how it is presented, and because I want the resume itself to be an example of my technical skills.

No comments: