Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Section 1:First Impressions

These are some of my first impressions from the section 1 reflection area:

I have to wonder, if the content isn't going to show up in my portfolio, is it only viewable by me, or is it also available to career services councilors, etc.?

The default display name is spelled incorrectly.

Work Interests and Goal after Graduation seem a little redundant. At least they are in my case. I know I want to work "in IT", but I'm not clear on whether the question is asking me what sort of work I want to do or what sort of company I want to work for. I've answered both questions to the best of my ability already in the Goal After Graduation reflection area.

I don't think anyone wants to work in a stressful environment. At least I don't think people who do work in stressful environments look at it that way. Perhaps "High Pressure" or "Fast Paced" would be a better description.

When I tried to save my work for the part 1 reflections, I was over the 100 character limit on all of the responses. If there is a character limit, why couldn't the text box be set to limit my response so that I find out about the limit before I submit my answers? And why am I being punished for providing carefully crafted--if not terribly concise--answers? After trying to trim all of my answers down to 100 characters I become frustrated and gave up.
Here is the error message:
!Value I would like to secure an IT related position at a company that doesn't necessarily provide a computer related product or service. Possibly doing database design/data modeling or web development. for field Goal after graduation must be less than 100 characters

!Value I would like to live relatively close to family and friends here in New Jersey. I would prefer working in central/north Jersey or possibly some place where public transportation is available from central/north Jersey (like NYC, for example) for field Desired location must be less than 100 characters

!Value Oral Communication skills, Customer Service skills (may be applied to "Internal Customers"), Computer Research skills, Teaching skills, Computer Programming skills. for field Skills must be less than 100 characters

!Value I'm not sure what sort of company I would like to work in exactly, although I think I would prefer to work in the IT devision of a company that doesn't sell a computer related product/service. I am interested in Database Design, Web Development, and Education (ie designing technology oriented training programs, developing software for education, etc.) for field Work Interests must be less than 100 characters

!Value I would like to work about 40 hours a week, but I feel it is more important that I work somewhere where the hours are consistent and based on a normal 9-5 work day. I wouldn't mind having to put in extra hours or having to work an occasional weekend as long as I'm not working with a changing schedule or late night/overnight shifts. I would prefer to provide a service to the company's 'Internal Customers' as an IT professional over developing a product. for field Work Values must be less than 100 characters

I finished this section after about an hour.

No comments: